Presidents’ Day Celebration
NO SCHOOL Friday, 2/17 & Monday, 2/20
Students Return Tuesday, 2/21 (2:30 dismissal)
Hello Loma Verde Families!
We are looking forward to a great week of learning! Please make sure your child is here every day and on time. Reminder: There is no school on Friday, 2/17 and Monday, 2/20 in celebration of Presidents’ Day. School resumes on Tuesday, 2/21 with a regular 2:30 p.m. dismissal for TK through 6th graders. Read below for all of the important school information for the upcoming weeks. Thank you for your support!
CVESD ThoughtExchange Survey is Now Open!
Our annual ThoughtExchange for community input on the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) is now open! Please see the flyer (in English and Spanish) for more information. This year, we are asking the question: What are some things we are doing well, and what could improve the educational experience we provide students through the LCAP?
The LCAP shapes our District’s goals and guides our budgeting priorities at both the district and school levels. Please join in on the conversation from Feb. 1 through April 1, 2023. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Thank you!
Link to survey: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/scroll/629912727
- Monday, 2/13-Thursday, 2/16 ELPAC Testing for TK-6th graders
- Monday, 2/13-Tuesday, 2/14 PTO Valentine Gram & Gift Sale
- Tuesday, 2/14 Valentine’s Day *Please follow the District’s Wellness Policy (English) (Spanish) if you choose to send something to share with the class. Contact your child’s teacher with questions.
- Tuesday, 2/14 3:00 p.m. SSC Meeting @ Library
- Wednesday, 2/15 – 3:00-3:30 Talent Show Auditions Room 301
- Wednesday, 2/15 CVESD New Student Registration Begin
- Wednesday, 2/15 6:00 CVESD Board Meeting @ District Office
- Thursday, 2/16 8:15 PTO Meeting @ MPR
- Thursday, 2/16 – 3:00-3:30 Talent Show Auditions Room 301
- Thursday, 2/16 2:00-5:00 FREE Flu & COVID Vaccines @ Loma Verde
- Thursday, 2/16 6:00 p.m. CVESD Family Focus Parent Workshop “10 Things Parents Need to Know About Fentanyl” @ District Office
- Friday, 2/17 – NO SCHOOL – Presidents Day Weekend
- Monday, 2/20 – NO SCHOOL – Presidents Day Weekend
- Wednesday, 2/22 2:30 Kona Ice
- Wednesday, 2/22 – 2:30-3:30 Talent Show Auditions Room 301
- Thursday, 2/23 2:30-3:30 Talent Show Auditions Room 301 (This is the last day to Audition)
- Thursday, 2/23 6:00 p.m. B-LAC Meeting CVESD Black Learners Advisory Committee @ Jeffers Elementary
- Monday, 2/27-Friday, 3/3 Read Across America Week
- Monday, 2/27 6:00 p.m. 6th Grade Adolescent Growth Education Parent Preview Night (virtual)
- Wednesday, 3/1 6:00 p.m. 5th Grade Adolescent Growth Education Parent Preview Night (virtual)
- Thursday, 3/2 6:00 p.m. 4th Grade (Girls-Only) Adolescent Growth Education Parent Preview Night (virtual)
- Thursday, 3/2 8:15 Coffee With The Principal & ELAC Meeting
- Thursday, 3/9-Thursday, 3/16 Parent Teacher Conferences (Minimum Days)
- Friday, 3/10 5:00-7:00 p.m. Loma Verde Family Dance
- Monday, 3/13 8:30 TK & Kinder ACE Awards
- Tuesday, 3/14 8:30 1st & 2nd Grade ACE Awards
- Thursday, 3/16 8:30 3rd & 4th Grade ACE Awards
- Friday, 3/17 8:30 5th & 6th Grade ACE Awards
- Monday, 3/20-Friday, 3/31 SPRING BREAK
- Monday, 4/3 Quarter 4 Begins-Students Return Minimum Day (1:00 dismissal)
- Click Here for the 2022-2023 Calendar
- Click Here for the 2023-2024 CVESD School Calendar
Zone Transfers and Registration Information
It’s almost that time again! Everyone attending Loma Verde Elementary on a CVESD Zone Transfer will receive an email in the last week of January with a specific link to renew the Zone Transfer for their child for the 2023-2024 school year. Please complete this Zone Transfer (or ZT) process ASAP to keep your child at our school, or families risk losing their child’s spot at our school if a new family moves into the neighborhood. Please also remember that a Zone Transfer or Intradistrict Transfer may be denied if a child’s behavior or attendance needs improvement.
NEW STUDENT registration will begin on February 15 online for the following:
- Kindergartners who will be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2023.
- NEW students in grades 1st through 6th
- All registrations will take place online. There will be no paper packets. To register please visit our district website beginning on February 15: www.cvesd.org
Loma Verde Elementary has plenty of space in our Preschool, TK, and Kindergarten classes for next year, but has limited openings in our upper grades. Please contact our office for questions about space availability at (619) 479-3662.
Loma Verde Elementary offers a free preschool program for qualifying families that live in San Diego County. Learn more and enroll your child today at http://cvesd.org/preschool.
- Please note:
- TK students will not need a renewal zone transfer link as they will need to register at their neighborhood school for Kindergarten. Our district’s Early Childhood Education department supports Preschool and TK enrollment. Please contact them directly at (619) 425-9600 Ext.181725.
- The Renewal Zone Transfer Form is independent of the “New Zone Transfer Form.”
- Students who will be transitioning to Sweetwater Union High School District for seventh grade (middle school) do not need to notify CVESD about this, but will need to complete registration processes with that district via https://www.sweetwaterschools.org/.
Loma Verde Elementary offers both the Dual Immersion (English & Spanish 50/50) program and English only classes in kindergarten through 6th grade. Call 619-420-3940 for more information or click here to register beginning on 2/15/2023.
Important Student Cell Phone Reminders:
Students are NOT allowed to have their cell phones out or on while on campus at Loma Verde Elementary. All cell phones and smart watches must be turned off and given to the classroom teacher at the start of the day. They will be locked up and returned at the end of the day. If there is an emergency, students will be given their cell phones/smartwatches back. Please make sure you have completed a Cell Phone Waiver and turned it in to the office for approval. Students must have a Cell Phone Waiver on file before bringing cell phones onto campus. Click on LV Cell Phone Waiver 22-23 to access the file. Students are NOT allowed to record themselves or other students at any time or post anything to social media (ex. text, Tik Tok, Instagram, etc.). Please contact Mrs. Watson with questions. Thank you!
Parents, please monitor your child’s activity on cell phones, tablets, and computers. There has been an increase in conflicts between students that is taking place at home via social media, online gaming, and other apps. A helpful resource for many parents is the website Common Sense Media: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/articles/online-safety
Please join us for our next PTO meeting on Thursday, 2/16 at 8:15 in the library. We will be planning our Family Dance scheduled for 3/10/2023 and end of year school activities. Don’t forget to bring a friend! New members are always welcome!
Annual YMCA Giving Campaign
Hello Loma Verde Families,
Please help us reach our goal of $500 to help support the YMCA. Every little bit helps, even a few dollars! Donations go toward the STRETCH program, camps, scholarships, and other beneficial YMCA programs for our community. You can share the link with family and friends. We greatly appreciate all the YMCA does to support Loma Verde families and the community. The top 3 classes that raise the most money in our online and coin drive by 3/10/23 will have a special water-themed field day activity. Thank you!
Loma Verde’s Got Talent! – Variety Show
Loma Verde will be having a Variety Talent Show on April 13th. This show is open to students in grades 2-6 to participate individually or in groups. Students in 1st and kinder may participate with teacher direction if they desire. All performers will have to audition and be accepted to participate. Participation will require auditioning on:
- Wednesday, 2/15 – 3:00-3:30
- Thursday, 2/16 – 3:00-3:30
- Wednesday, 2/22 – 2:30-3:30
- Thursday, 2/23 2:30-3:30 (This is the last day to Audition)
After-school rehearsals will be from February through March and the beginning of April. Students should prepare for their performance and be well-rehearsed before auditioning. They will need to provide their own music and costumes for any dancing or singing performances. An information form and permission slip are available here loma-variety-show-permission-slip. We look forward to a great experience! Please contact Miss Fisher with questions at email@example.com.
Congratulation to our Wildcat Students of the Week #24!
|Kinder: Angela, Abel, Madison, Kehlani, Leilani, Luna|
|1st: Ailani, Jayden, Diego, Keean, Paulette, Carlos|
|2nd: Juliette, Mathilda, Nikol, Emmanuel, Mia, Angel|
|3rd: Jael, Gabriel, Ximena, Oliver|
|4th: Daniel, Mary, Camila, Oscar, Tez, Samantha|
|5th: Daniel, Mariah, Edgar, Noah|
|6th: Jaime, Damien, Terrance, Omar, Alyssa|
Parent Workshop Series
The Chula Vista Elementary School District is starting a new Family Focus Series for families to learn more about pressing topics such as bullying, social and emotional well-being, and more! This is a wonderful learning opportunity for our families to participate in upcoming workshops. Check out all the topics below! Free childcare and dinner are provided for all attendees. The next workshop is on February 16 called “10 Things Parents Need to Know About Fentanyl.”
Adolescent Growth Education Parent Information Nights
Join district staff online to learn more about our district’s Adolescent Growth Education resources that will be shared with our 4th, 5th, and 6th-grade students. Teachers will be sending home information about this opt-out program in the coming weeks. Under CA state law, parents have the right to opt out of this program. However, our district encourages participation in AGE as this program provides scientifically and medically accurate information. Please speak to your child’s teacher or contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 if you have questions about this program.
- Sixth Grade – February 27, 2023, from 6 to 7:30 pm Sixth GradeAGE Parent Flyer 2.27.23. Sixth Grade AGE Parent Flyer 02.27.23 SPANISH
- Fifth Grade – March 2, 2023, from 6 to 7:30 pm Fifth Grade AGE Parent Flyer 03.02.23 Fifth Grade AGE Parent Flyer 03.02.23 SPANISH
- Fourth Grade (girls only) – March 1, 2023, from 6 to 7:30 pm Fifth Grade AGE Parent Flyer 03.02.23 Fifth Grade AGE Parent Flyer 03.02.23 SPANISH
Did you know that if your child is out of school for three or more days, you can request an independent study contract? If an independent study contract is completed, your child receives attendance credit. For more information, you can contact Ivonne Jimenez (619-420-3940)
Week #24 TK-6th grade attendance average: 93.7% (Goal is 98% or higher)
Top Class with Highest Attendance in Week #24 (2/6-2/10):
- 99% Room 405 Mrs. Youssofi – 6th grade
- 98.7% Room 203 Ms. Rincon– 2nd grade
- 97.8% Room 205 Ms. Munoz – 3rd grade
Our school’s average daily attendance is 92.4% so far this year. Our goal is 98% We are improving each week!
REMINDER: Students need to be at school every day, arrive on time (before 8:00 a.m.), and stay in school for the entire day.
- LET’S CONTINUE TO IMPROVE OUR ATTENDANCE AT LOMA VERDE!
- Students should only miss school if they are sick. Those with symptoms can return with a negative Covid test, no fever for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication, and symptoms improving. STUDENTS DO NOT NEED TO BE SYMPTOM-FREE to attend school. We have plenty of rapid tests at school–just ask in the office. If you have a special circumstance and need an independent study, please let us know.
- Please make sure your child is here by 7:55 a.m. and lined up on the blacktop (1st-6th grade) or by the classroom (TK-kinder). If they arrive after 8:00, they will be marked tardy.
- We begin a secure campus at 8:00 a.m. Parents/guardians must exit promptly at 8:00. Thank you.
- Students can arrive as early as 7:15 a.m.
- FREE breakfast is served 7:15 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- If your child/children are absent it is very important to call the office to report the reason for the absence (619-420-3940). Please leave a voicemail or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Absences that are not reported will be considered UNEXCUSED. After 3 unexcused absences and/or tardies you will receive a truancy letter.
- If you pick up your child/children early and/or they are tardy for personal reasons this is considered unexcused.
- Remember to bring a doctor’s note. Vacations, dentist, and doctor visits should be scheduled during our breaks whenever possible.
- If your child misses school, they are missing out on important learning!
- Our school staff will be scheduling SART (School Attendance Review Team) meetings with parents/guardians, calling home, and doing home visits for students who are chronically absent (missing 10% of school or excessive tardies).
- Thank you for helping to get your child to school every day and one time!
LOMA VERDE SPIRIT GEAR IS FOR SALE!
We are selling Loma Verde spirit shirts and hoodies at school. The t-shirts are $12, grey sweatshirt hoodies are $24, and green zip hoodies are $30. (Cash only at this time.) Students can wear the spirit t-shirts and sweatshirt any day of the week OR the uniform shirt. Order forms can be picked up in the office. Let’s show our school spirit, Wildcats! Please make sure to write your child’s first and last name inside their hoodie.
- Click here to access our 22-23 School Handbook
- Students must have a Cell Phone Waiver on File before bringing cell phones onto campus. Click on LV Cell Phone Waiver 22-23 to access the file.
- Please screen your child for Covid-19 symptoms each day before school. Anyone with symptoms must test negative and fever-free and improving symptoms to return to school. We have a FREE COVID test for anyone who needs one.
- If your child has any pre-existing conditions, including those with Covid-like symptoms (e.g. allergies, asthma), please provide documentation from the doctor so that we can have it on file. This will help prevent your child from being sent home if they have symptoms of a chronic condition.
- Please send a water bottle with your child. Water bottles can be filled at the classroom sink or outside drinking fountains.
- Do not send candy, sports drinks, or soda to school with your child.
- Label lunch boxes, water bottles, and sweaters with your child’s name.
- No toys, trading cards, fidgets, or sports equipment from home are allowed at school.
- Positive individuals are considered infectious 2 days before symptom onset or the date of positive test collection if not symptomatic.
- A minimum of 5 days of isolation starting from the date of onset of symptoms day zero, or a positive test if asymptomatic
- Proof of a negative test is required to return to school or work after day 5 and before day 11
- If an individual continues to test positive after day 5, they can continue to try to test out every day. They can return to school without a test on day 11.
- If you are feeling sick or have COVID-like symptoms, please visit the Campus Clinic Kiosks.
- Campus clinic is now offering flu and COVID testing at their kiosk locations.
- If your child tests positive and you need guidance, please email all questions to email@example.com. Please report positive home Covid test results here.
- Families may come to the school office, Monday- Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to receive a free antigen test. The testing is not required. Please report any positive cases to our school office at (619) 420-3940 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Weekly, voluntary COVID-19 testing will continue on our school campus via Campus Clinic each week. Parents and legal guardians must opt-in to the program and no child will be tested without proper consent. If families would like to watch a video on the registration process, they can visit: https://campusclinic.org/how-to/ . For this free testing support, please email: email@example.com.
LOST AND FOUND
Please note that the lost and found rack will be at the front of the school. Remember to use a permanent marker to put your child’s name on jackets, sweaters, lunch bags, and water bottles.
Breakfast & Lunch Menu
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHONE: 619-420-3940
- Loma Verde CVESD Website: https://lomaverde.cvesd.org/
- Principal Mrs. Bree Watson email@example.com
Our school/District utilizes the SchoolMessenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more. You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. Click here for more information.
FOLLOW UP ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
- Loma Verde Twitter – @lomaverdeschool Our hashtag is #lomalearns
- Loma Verde Instagram – lomaverdewildcats Install the app to follow our photos and videos. https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?i=1ip9wfy7lwpmu&utm_content=otsqk0b
- Loma Verde Facebook – Follow us on the Loma Verde Facebook page.