There is NO SCHOOL on Monday, January 16, in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Hello Loma Verde Families and Staff,
We had a great first week back from Winter Break! A friendly reminder that there is no school tomorrow, Monday, January 16, 2023, in honor of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. We hope that you spend part of your holiday with an intentional activity that honors the memory of Dr. King. We encourage families to participate in an optional, off-campus Day of Service. Many beach cleanups, food banks, and neighborhood enhancement projects are scheduled around San Diego County on this day. Local information can be found here: https://www.handsonsandiego.org/mlkday
Coffee with the Principal & ELAC Meeting
Please join us on Thursday, January 19 at 8:15 a.m. for our next Coffee with the Principal & ELAC Meeting. We will be discussing 3rd quarter school events and the upcoming English Learner assessment, ELPAC. Refreshments and Spanish/English translation will be provided. Everyone is welcome!
The Great Kindness Challenge is Coming Soon!
Loma Verde Elementary is participating again in the annual, worldwide Great Kindness Challenge! This is our second year participating as a school community. We invite all staff, students, and families at Loma Verde to participate in the official Great Kindness Challenge week this January 23 – 27, 2023.
During the official Great Kindness Challenge week, all students in grades PreK-6 are challenged to complete as many acts of kindness as possible, using the school-provided, age-appropriate kindness checklist. With the checklist in hand, students show the world that KINDNESS MATTERS! Loma Verde Elementary School is a proud Kindness Certified School!
- Monday, 1/16- No School – Dr. MLK Jr. Day
- Tuesday, 1/17 12:00-2:00 p.m. – DAC/DELAC Meeting @District Office
- Wednesday, 1/18 6:00 p.m. CVESD Board Meeting
- Thursday, 1/19 8:15 a.m. Coffee with the Principal & ELAC Meeting
- Thursday, 1/19 2:00-5:00 p.m. COVID Vaccination Event at Loma Verde (see flyer below)
- Thursday, 1/19 6:00 p.m. Family Engagement Series- In person, 6:00 pm, dinner served, at 84 East J Street, Childcare provided. “Hiding in Plain sight: Overview of “Human Trafficking”
- Monday, 1/23 – Friday, 1/27 Great Kindness Challenge
- Tuesday, 1/24 3:00 p.m. SSC Meeting
- Wednesday, 1/25 2:30 p.m. Kona Ice
- Wednesday, 1/25 6:00 BAC Meeting CVESD Budget Advisory Committee @ District Office
- Thursday, 1/26 6:00 p.m. B-LAC Meeting CVESD Black Learners Advisory Committee @ Hedenkamp Elementary
- Friday, 1/27 1:00 p.m. Feeding San Diego Backpack Food Distribution
- Monday, 1/30-Friday, 2/3 Book Fair
- Tuesday, 2/7 12:00-2:00 p.m.- DAC/DELAC Meeting @District Office
- Friday, 2/17 – NO SCHOOL – Presidents Day Weekend
- Monday, 2/20 – NO SCHOOL – Presidents Day Weekend
2023-2024 School Year Calendar
Our School Board adopted the calendar for the 2023-2024 school year at their last meeting. Please review the 2023-2024 calendar for important dates. Please plan your vacations, family reunions, and other travel during school breaks. Thank you!
Important Dates for quick reference:
- Starting Date: July 19, 2023
- Ending Date: June 5, 2024
Key breaks include:
- Fall Break – September 25 – October 9, 2023
- Thanksgiving Break – November 20 – November 24, 2023
- Winter Break – December 18, 2023 – January 9, 2024
- Spring Break – March 18 – April 1, 2024
Annual YMCA Giving Campaign
Hello Loma Verde Families,
Please help us reach our goal of $500 to help support the YMCA. Every little bit helps, even a few dollars! Donations go toward the STRETCH program, camps, scholarships, and other beneficial YMCA programs for our community. You can share the link with family and friends. We greatly appreciate all the YMCA does to support Loma Verde families and the community. Thank you!
Hola familias de Loma Verde,
Ayúdenos a alcanzar nuestra meta de $500 para ayudar a apoyar a la YMCA. ¡Todo ayuda, incluso unos pocos dólares! Las donaciones se destinan al programa STRETCH, campamentos, becas y otros programas beneficiosos de la YMCA para nuestra comunidad. Puede compartir el enlace con familiares y amigos. Apreciamos mucho todo lo que YMCA hace para apoyar a las familias de Loma Verde y la comunidad. ¡Gracias!
Loma Verde’s Got Talent! – Variety Show
Loma Verde will be having a Variety Talent Show in April. This show is open to students in grades 2-6 to participate individually or in groups. Students in 1st and kinder may participate with teacher direction if they desire. All performers will have to audition and be accepted to participate. Participation will require auditioning and after-school rehearsals starting in February through March and the beginning of April. Students should prepare for their performance and be well-rehearsed before auditioning. They will need to provide their own music and costumes for any dancing or singing performances. An information form and permission slip is available here loma-variety-show-permission-slip. We look forward to a great experience! Please contact Miss Fisher with questions at email@example.com.
Congratulation to our Wildcat Students of the Week #20!
|Kinder: Isabella, Sebastian, Miguel, Angel|
|1st: Sebastian, Ruby, Kaylie, Ariana, Anthony, Julio|
|2nd: Julio, Emiliano, Daniella, Zhanna, Efrain|
|3rd: Andre, Ruby, Christopher A, Caleb, Omar, Gabrielle, Ethan|
|4th: Juan, Victoria, Nikkie, Mauricio|
|5th: Elias, Alan, Emily, Ezavior, Iliana, Charlotte|
|6th: Gloria, Eliana, Nina, Emilio,|
Week #20 TK-6th grade attendance average: 93.6% (Goal is 98% or higher)
Top Class with Highest Attendance in Week #20 (1/10-1/13):
- 100% Room 204 Ms. Sadler – 2nd grade
- 98.9% Room 201 Ms. Hayes, – 3rd grade
- 98.3% Room 403 Mr. Cooper – 5th grade
- 97.5% Room 405 Mrs. Youssofi – 6th grade
- 97.3% ROOM 406 Mrs. Murdoch – 5/6 grade
Rooms 202, 203, 204, 206, 303, 304, 403, and 601 have had 10 days of perfect attendance during 2nd &/or 3rd quarter!
Our school’s average daily attendance is 92% so far this year. Our goal is 98% We are improving each week!
REMINDER: Students need to be at school every day, arrive on time (before 8:00 a.m.), and stay in school for the entire day.
- LET’S CONTINUE TO IMPROVE OUR ATTENDANCE AT LOMA VERDE!
- Students should only miss school if they are sick. Those with symptoms can return with a negative Covid test, no fever for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication, and symptoms improving. STUDENTS DO NOT NEED TO BE SYMPTOM-FREE to attend school. We have plenty of rapid tests at school–just ask in the office. If you have a special circumstance and need an independent study, please let us know.
- Please make sure your child is here by 7:55 a.m. and lined up on the blacktop (1st-6th grade) or by the classroom (TK-kinder). If they arrive after 8:00, they will be marked tardy.
- We begin a secure campus at 8:00 a.m. Parents/guardians must exit promptly at 8:00. Thank you.
- Students can arrive as early as 7:15 a.m.
- FREE breakfast is served 7:15 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- If your child/children is absent it is very important to call the office to report the reason for the absence (619-420-3940). Please leave a voicemail or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Absences that are not reported will be considered UNEXCUSED. After 3 unexcused absences and/or tardies you will receive a truancy letter.
- If you pick up your child/children early and/or they are tardy for personal reasons this is considered unexcused.
- Remember to bring a doctor’s note. Vacations, dentist, and doctor visits should be scheduled during our breaks whenever possible.
- If your child misses school, they are missing out on important learning!
- Our school staff will be scheduling SART (School Attendance Review Team) meetings with parents/guardians, calling home, and doing home visits for students who are chronically absent (missing 10% of school or excessive tardies).
- Thank you for helping to get your child to school every day and one time!
Parent Workshop Series
The Chula Vista Elementary School District is starting a new Family Focus Series for families to learn more about pressing topics such as bullying, social and emotional well-being, and more! This is a wonderful learning opportunity for our families to participate in upcoming workshops. Check out all the topics below! Free childcare and dinner are provided for all attendees. The next workshop is on January 12. The MTSS Coordinator for Discovery Charter School, Melissa Moreno, will present “12 Tips for Effective Parenting.”
- Click here to access our 22-23 School Handbook
- Students must have a Cell Phone Waiver on File before bringing cell phones onto campus. Click on LV Cell Phone Waiver 22-23 to access the file.
- Please screen your child for Covid-19 symptoms each day before school. Anyone with symptoms must test negative and fever-free and improving symptoms to return to school. We have a FREE COVID test for anyone who needs one.
- If your child has any pre-existing conditions, including those with Covid-like symptoms (e.g. allergies, asthma), please provide documentation from the doctor so that we can have it on file. This will help prevent your child from being sent home if they have symptoms of a chronic condition.
- Please send a water bottle with your child. Water bottles can be filled at the classroom sink or outside drinking fountains.
- Do not send candy, sports drinks, or soda to school with your child.
- Label lunch boxes, water bottles, and sweaters with your child’s name.
- No toys, trading cards, fidgets, or sports equipment from home are allowed at school.
- Positive individuals are considered infectious 2 days before symptom onset or the date of positive test collection if not symptomatic.
- A minimum of 5 days of isolation starting from the date of onset of symptoms day zero, or a positive test if asymptomatic
- Proof of a negative test is required to return to school or work after day 5 and before day 11
- If an individual continues to test positive after day 5, they can continue to try to test out every day. They can return to school without a test on day 11.
- If you are feeling sick or have COVID-like symptoms, please visit the Campus Clinic Kiosks.
- Campus clinic is now offering flu and COVID testing at their kiosk locations.
- If your child tests positive and you need guidance, please email all questions to email@example.com. Please report positive home Covid test results here.
- Families may come to the school office, Monday- Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to receive a free antigen test. The testing is not required. Please report any positive cases to our school office at (619) 420-3940 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Weekly, voluntary COVID-19 testing will continue on our school campus via Campus Clinic each week. Parents and legal guardians must opt-in to the program and no child will be tested without proper consent. If families would like to watch a video on the registration process, they can visit: https://campusclinic.org/how-to/ . For this free testing support, please email: email@example.com.
LOST AND FOUND
Please note that the lost and found rack will be at the front of the school. Remember to use a permanent marker to put your child’s name on jackets, sweaters, lunch bags, and water bottles.
Breakfast & Lunch Menu
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHONE: 619-420-3940
- Loma Verde CVESD Website: https://lomaverde.cvesd.org/
- Principal Mrs. Bree Watson email@example.com
Our school/District utilizes the SchoolMessenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more. You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. Click here for more information.
FOLLOW UP ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
- Loma Verde Twitter – @lomaverdeschool Our hashtag is #lomalearns
- Loma Verde Instagram – lomaverdewildcats Install the app to follow our photos and videos. https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?i=1ip9wfy7lwpmu&utm_content=otsqk0b
- Loma Verde Facebook – Follow us on the Loma Verde Facebook page.