Hello Loma Verde Families!
Our goal is to inform families of school events and provide important announcements for the upcoming weeks. Please sign up to follow this blog with your email. The weekly blog will be sent out at the beginning of each week through CVESD School Messenger, ClassDojo, and Loma Verde’s Facebook page. Thank you for reading the weekly blog.
PARKING, DROP-OFF, AND PICK-UP
All of us at Loma Verde want to thank our families and community members in advance for their patience and understanding as we try to accommodate the many vehicles that arrive each morning and afternoon at our school. We strongly recommend that families use the drop-off and pick up areas we have established at school. Drop off students only in the drop-off zone.
- If you must leave your car, park in the parking lot, not the bus loop.
- The bus loop is the drop off area. Please DO NOT make a 2nd drop off lane in the parking lot.
- Please DO NOT enter the school parking lot through the south entrance. This is EXIT ONLY.
- NO dogs allowed during arrival and dismissal.
- Please do not park in RESERVED spaces or the staff parking lot.
- Students must walk bikes on the sidewalk.
- The drop off window is between 7:15-7:45 AM for students that are eating breakfast on campus and 7:30-7:55 AM for students that are not having breakfast at school. Students will line up on the blacktop in the morning between 7:30-8:00 AM where they will be supervised by Loma Verde staff. Each class has a designated place to line up. Teachers will pick their classes up on the blacktop at 8:00 AM. Instruction begins at 8:00 every day.
- Your child will be considered tardy if they are not on campus by 8:00 AM.
- Please plan accordingly and arrive a few minutes earlier to avoid traffic.
- For everyone’s safety BE PATIENT, KIND, and CONSIDERATE.
- Tuesday, 8/24 – 12:00-2:00 DAC/DELAC Meeting (Virtual)
- Tuesday, 8/24 – 3:00 PM – SSC Meeting (Virtual)
- Wednesday, 8/25 – 2:30-4:00 Math 24 Club for 3rd-6th Graders
- Wednesday, 8/25 – 5:00 PM – CVESD Special Board Meeting
- Thursday, 8/26 – Loma Verde Picture Day (Wear school uniform)
- Thursday, 8/26 – 4:00-6:00 FREE Food Distribution at Castle Park Middle School (see flyer below)
- Thursday, 8/26 – 6:00 CVESD B-LAC Meeting
- Friday, 8/27 – 12:45-1:45 Spirit Shirt & Hoodie Sale in front of school
- Monday, 8/30 – Kids Heart Challenge Kick-Off
- Monday, 8/30 – Friday, 9/3 – VAPA Week #3
- Thursday, 9/2 -3:00 PM PTO General Meeting
- Monday, 9/6 – NO SCHOOL, Labor Day Holiday
- Wednesday, 9/8 – 8:15 AM Coffee with the Principal & ELAC Meeting
- Thursday, 9/9-Thursday, 9/16 Parent/Teacher Conferences (minimum days, 1:00 dismissal)
- Monday, 9/13 – Friday, 9/17 – VAPA Week #4
- Tuesday, 9/14 – 3:00 PM SSC Meeting
- Wednesday, 9/15 – 6:00 PM CVESD Board Meeting
- Friday, 9/17 – Kid’s Heart Challenge School-wide Event
- Friday, 9/17 – Last Day of 1st Quarter
- Monday, 9/20 – 10/4 – NO SCHOOL – Fall Break
Loma Verde 3rd-6th Grade Math Club!
Sign up for our FREE online 3rd-6th grade Math Club with Mr. Hemmingway that meets on Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00. Space is limited, so register early. See the flyer for more details. Click on the link to sign up: https://bit.ly/33zJcYE.
One way to help your child succeed in school is to read to and with them every day. Did you know it’s important to read to your children all the way through elementary school? Here’s a great article that explains why.
SPIRIT GEAR FOR SALE
We will have our Loma Verde spirit gear for sale at a table in the from of the school on Friday, August 27 from 12:45-1:45. T-shirts are $10 and sweatshirt hoodies are $20. (Cash only at this time.) Students can wear the new t-shirt and sweatshirt any day of the week OR the uniform shirt. Order forms can be picked up in the office to preorder shirts. Let’s show our school spirit, Wildcats!
Dress Code: School Uniforms
Loma Verde students will be required to wear school uniforms. Shirts are blue, white or grey and pants/shorts/skirts are navy or black. Spirit t-shirts can be worn any day. Please wear closed-toe shoes daily. If you need help acquiring the uniforms, please contact the office. Information is confidential.
If you choose to not have your child wear a uniform, please note, the dress code must be followed. The Uniform Exemption Waiver form this upcoming year is available below and in the office.
Picture Day is Thursday, August 26
Remember, students need to wear school uniforms for the fall pictures. Spring pictures will be free dress. A flyer will be sent home with your child on Monday, August 23 with prices and details.
CVESD Black Learners Advisory Council (B-LAC)
Would you like to help create a strategic plan to support Black students, staff, and families within the Chula Vista Elementary School District? CVESD BLAC Meeting August and October 2021 Attend the monthly BLAC council meetings.
Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Register in advance to attend the meeting. Link to Register – after registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing the link to join the meeting.
Parent Teacher Conferences
It is hard to believe that our Parent-Teacher Conferences are in just a few weeks. Please mark your calendars and plan for our modified schedule. Conferences begin Thursday, September 9 and end Thursday, September 16. Remember, during the conference period, kindergarten through 6th-grade students are dismissed at 1:00 p.m. Conference information will be sent home by your child’s teacher. They will be either virtual or in-person.
We want to share a few important reminders:
You may have many questions regarding current school procedures.
- Please view the Loma Verde Parent-Student-Handbook for important information about our school
- Click on the CVESD Safe Return to School Parent Playbook & CVESD Safe Return to school Parent Playbook-SPANISH for current COVID-19 Safety Information.
- Click on the CVESD website for more information on the safe reopening of school.
- All staff and students will wear masks while indoors and may remove masks outdoors. Teach your child to place their mask either under chin, on wrist, or in pocket when not in use. If you choose to use a mask lanyard, please ensure that it has a breakaway feature for safety. Please note that scarves and gaiters are not a substitute for masks.
- Students may take off masks during lunch and recess
- Students may take off masks during outside instruction or activities
- Please screen your child for Covid-19 symptoms each day before school.
- If your child has any pre-existing conditions, including those with Covid-like symptoms (e.g. allergies, asthma), please provide documentation from the doctor so that we can have it on file. This will help prevent your child from being sent home if they have symptoms from a chronic condition. Contact our nurse, Linda Kucinski, for questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children are reminded frequently to wash their hands at school for at least 20 seconds using soap and water. We also have hand sanitizer in each room and in the lunch arbor for students to use.
- Please send a water bottle with your child. Water bottles can be filled at the classroom sink. Drinking fountains are now open on the blacktop by the 300 and 400 buildings.
- Label lunch boxes, water bottles, and sweaters with your child’s name.
School Site Council
SITE COUNCIL (SSC) is comprised of 5 elected parent/community representatives and 4 elected staff representatives. Our five parent/community member representatives are: Scott Anderson, Robert Hemingway, Jazmin Cardona, Aida Mora, and Karen Lopez. The four staff elected representatives are: Salome Rincon, Jessica Sadler, Ryanna Navaroli, and Ivonne Jimenez. The role of the SSC is to develop, approve and monitor the Single Plan for Student Achievement, and the school’s budget. Regular meetings take place on Tuesdays (once a month) beginning at 3:00 pm. All parents and staff are welcome to attend. Our next meeting is Tuesday, August 24 at 3:00 PM on Zoom. Please contact email@example.com for information on accessing the meeting online.
- If your student is going to be absent, please contact our school Health Attendance Specialist Mrs. Ivonne Jimenez @ 619-420-3940 ext. 370110 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. This step is critical as we cannot allow your child to return to class until we know the reason for the absence.
- If your child is going to be absent for a full or partial day due to medical appointment(s) be sure to submit a doctor’s note the following day.
- If your child is going to be tardy due to a medical appointment be sure to have your student submit his/her doctor’s note upon arrival.
- If your child is going to be absent due to a sport tournament, the district requires a note from the organization or flyer with the student’s name for it to be excused.
- Out of town trips or Vacations are NOT excused absences.
- If your student is going to be absent for 5 days or more, please contact our Health Attendance Specialist to discuss if any accommodations can be made.
- Please remember if your child has any of the COVID-19 symptoms, they must stay home. Please be sure to call the office to report the absence.
COVID Testing in Chula Vista
Chula Vista Elementary School District is offering free testing at the Education Services and Support Center at 84 East J Street, Chula Vista 91910:
- Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Friday 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
El Distrito de Escuelas Primarias de Chula Vista está ofreciendo pruebas gratuitas en las Oficinas Centrales, 84 East J Street Chula Vista CA 91910:
- Lunes a jueves 8:00 AM a 4:00 PM
- Viernes 11:00 AM a 3:00 PM
What type of COVID test do I need???
CLICK HERE for information regarding what type of COVID test you are your child may need.
Join our PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) Group!
We need your help to make this year fantastic! Please join our PTO group to help out at school event. We are also looking for parents to join with membership dues of $5 per student or $10 per family. Click on the file link below to access the form. Forms and money can be turned into the office. Membership dues help to fund field trips, school events, classroom supplies, guest speakers, and much more! All the money collected is spent on OUR LOMA VERDE STUDENTS! Thank you! lvmembershipdrive-21-22DOWNLOAD.
VISITORS AND VOLUNTEERS ~ UPDATED
- Volunteers must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, TB test results, and fingerprint clearance.
- Before the teacher can approve you to volunteer, you must also view LV Visitor and Volunteer VolunteerPowerPoint2021 and and complete THIS FORM.
- Only one volunteer allowed in the classroom at a time.
- Volunteers must stay masked while on campus.
- Volunteers must also complete a LV-volunteer-disaster-information. and submit it to the office. You can also request a paper copy from the office.
- Please do not come on campus if you are not feeling well.
Once these guidelines have been met, the teachers will provide the office with a list of approved volunteers.
DONATION NEEDED for cases of water for our classrooms. If you are able to donate a case of water please drop it off at the school office between 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. Thank you!
LOST AND FOUND
Please note that the lost and found table will be at the front of the school. Remember to use a permanent marker to put your child’s name on jackets, sweaters, lunch bags, and water bottles.
Returning Computers, Library Books, & WiFi Hot Spots
If you did not yet return a school laptop, computer charger, library book, and wifi hot spot devices that were checked out by families last year, please do so. If your device was damaged while in your family’s possession, you may contact the school office at (619) 420-3940 to set up a payment plan to fix or replace the damaged device.
Contact us at email@example.com or 619-420-3940.
Get District and School Notifications 2019-20 SMS Text Opt-in Eng Sp combined
Loma Verde Twitter – @lomaverdeschool Our hashtag is #lomalearns
Follow us on the Loma Verde Facebook page.